Thursday, October 4, 2007

Doctors Visits - Yuck

I don't know anyone who likes Doctors Visits. I went today to get my blood work checked out. Hadn't had it done since late 2005 I think. I have been having a problem with low iron since 2005. That's why I had the blood work done in 2005. Every time I went to donate blood, I would be turned away because my iron was low; between 35% to 37%. It has to be at least 38% to donate. When I look back over my donation card, on the times when I was able to donate, my iron was only 38% or 39%. Well in 2005, the Dr's office said "yeah it's low, but it's within range". This year, the last time I was able to donate was in April. During July I got the "too Low" rejection again. So they give you a list of food that is known to raise your iron level and also suggested I take an iron supplement. Still didn't work though. I went in 3 times and the highest I could get it was 37%. Last night I thought I would give it another try. Well they didn't even get around to checking my iron, because they said my blood pressure was 135 over 104; Too High. So I went to the Doctor today to have them check my blood pressure and do blood work to see where I stand. Last year my Doctor moved into a NEW facility. Boy is it nice! There are multiple TV's in the waiting room; one on the cartoon network and one on TBS and one on the news. They even had TV's in the examining rooms! I guess that's so if you are engrossed in watching TV, you won't notice how long it takes the Dr. to get to you. Although honestly I only had to wait 15-20 minutes, which I didn't think was too hellicious. I can remember waiting twice that long at his old office. Anyway, my blood pressure is fine; 135 over 74. I had mentioned that I thought the cuff the blood bank was using was too small and the nurse said that can give you a "bad" reading. Next time I should ask them them put it on my forearm. I have to wait until next week for the results to come back. In the mean time I was given a B12 shot (in the butt) to help with the iron, my flu shot and a tetanus shot since I hadn't had one since 1997.

This was my 2nd Doctor's visit this week. I had to go to the Eye Doctor on Monday. I had a flair up of Optic Neuritis. The short explanation for that is the Optic Nerve swells and causes flashing lights in your eye. I started getting this in 1996 or 97. They come and go. The only problem is that even though I have a diagnosis, it is one of those things that happen that the medical world does not know the cause of. Therefore they don't know how to cure it. The first couple of years that I had it, I went back to the Dr. every time it came back. However, that got expensive as I would need to have either a steroid treatment or another MRI only to be told "No Change". After that I just toughed it out. It was always just at the top of my peripheral vision on my left eye. It never was much of a problem. I was one of the 7.8% of people who didn't experience pain with it. Yeah me! But this time I had not just one flashing light, but three. Two on the edge and one almost in the center of my left eye. They are there all the time, just flickering and annoying the hell out of me. Then on Sunday I had the added bonus of getting a larger, brighter white flash that comes and goes. Still no pain though, which is wonderful. Well with all the added spots, I decided a trip to the Doctor would probably be a good thing. Diagnosis: "No Change". No bleeding and no new scars inside the eye, retina looks fine. Call back if things get worse or if it doesn't go away in a month. Then I might have to have another MRI or steroid treatment.

No comments: