Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fender Bender

What a nice cap to an already crappy day.

-Bad day at work (End of month Rush)
-Family tragedy for a friend
-Fender Bender on the way home from Knit Group.

I failed to notice the car in front of me had stopped or was stopping to do a left turn. By the time I noticed, it was too late to avoid hitting, but I was able to swerve so that it wasn't a full-on rear end collision. I clipped her bumper as I swerved to the left. Luckily no one was in the on-coming lane. No one was hurt, no airbags deployed, but the front right side of my car got pretty squashed. Although I was surprised to note that the head light still worked after being busted out. Since my car was making a funny noise I pulled over on a cross street. At first I thought the other car had just left, but she returned shortly. She went up the hill and turned around. She thought I was driving off when I turned onto the other road. I called 911; first time and hopefully the last I ever have to do that. The cops came. I know someone was either smiling on me or took pity on me at least after my bad day, because I did not get a ticket. Was sure I would, because I knew it was my fault. I didn't come right out and say the words "officer it was my fault" but I was very upfront about admitting that I failed to notice she was turning. I was able to drive the car home.

I found out later, after meeting my dad in the auto mechanics parking lot, that funny noise was because something was rubbing on the drive belt. The body shop owner advised me this morning not to drive it any further than I already had. The insurance towing service will be picking it up tomorrow to take it to the body shop. The owner said he could work on it next week.

And to top it off, I had to finish washing the dishes that my Mom started at 11:30pm.

3 comments:

Kary said...

So sorry about your bad day. Hope today is better...I suggest chocolate!

MUDNYC said...

Sorry about that! Sucks! Glad you are okay though.

Dr. aWoW said...

Boo :'o(