Sunday, April 27, 2008

I just don't think it's meant to be.

I just don't think I'm cut out to do the 2 socks at a time thing. You may have read about my disasterous first attempt yesterday. Well, this morning I dug out my copy of Knitting Circles Around Socks by Antje Gillingham. I wanted to see if she had photo of the 2 socks on needles at the same time while your working on the gussett. There were some great picture showing 1 needle holding both instep stitches and the other needle holding the gussett and heel stitches of both socks. I thought "ahah! so that is what I was doing wrong." I had one side of the magic loop going down the left side of each sock from the middle of the heel (traditional beginning of the round) to the middle of the instep.

So being a trooper I decided to give it another try. Yesterday I had taken sock #2 off before I had round 2 done, so I had to take sock #1 off the magic loop and put #2 on to finish round 2 that way I would be starting both on the same round. I got both socks back on the magic loop and and attempted to do round 3. OMG I spent more time fiddling with moving the stiches along the needles so that I had enough looseness in the back needle than actually spent knitting. I finally decided to pull #2 back off (after finishing round #3) and do them individually. I like the magic loop for knitting just the one sock, but I think if I attempt to do this again, it would be easier with 2 needles. Because it was a nightmare trying to do both on the 1 needle.

I have come to the conclusion that I think I like my DPN's better.

No comments: