Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Flowers, Projects and a new Room-mate

Well I promised photos of my Peonys and here they are. I have 2 Peony 'bushes' for lack of a better term. I had 13 buds on the one near the house and only 2 buds on the one in the back yard. I love the smell of the Peonys.

This shot is my favorite one.

This is the lone bloom on the back 'bush'. Even though there were 2 buds, the other one doesn't look like it will do anything. According to the neighbor who gave this plant to me, this flower is the "old style" Peonys. I think she said it had something to do with how full or how many petals each bloom had. Anyway this is the first year that it has bloomed, so I am anxious to see what it looks like. I looked this morning and it is about 1/2 open. When I leaned down to sniff it, it looked as if it had some kind of cocoon in the petals. When I tried to look closer, a giant greyish spidery looking thing uncurled itself and tried to hurl itself at me. Luckily I know how to jump fast and scream to scare it away. Yeash!

And I got my Cross-Hatch Lace socks finished! They turned out great and they are real comfortable too. Only they are too hot to wear right now.


Now let me introduce you to my new Room-mate. I picked her up on Monday night, but she hasn't yet told me what her name is. As we get better acquainted, I'm sure she'll get over her shyness and tell me. LOL!

Yes, as you can see I have purchased my first spinning wheel. Last year I learned to spin using a drop spindle. I like it, but had my heart set on getting my own wheel. However, even the used ones just seemed to be way out of my price range. I was at the Elkhart Farmers Market Fiber Festival last Saturday talking about my yearning to own a Ashford Traditional, when Charlotte Wolf told me that our friend Liz M. had one that she had been trying to sell. Very reasonable price too. I immediately called her up and made an appointment to see her. And the rest is history as they say.

These are the accessories that came along with it. 6 large bobbins, 4 small bobbins, a lazy kate for the small bobbins and spinning head for the smaller bobbins.

I tried it out at Liz's house, but wasn't able to do much when I got home as I had to mow the hayfield that is my yard. But I will soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those socks are so cute.

Arlene,
Silverdale flowers

Kary said...

Beautiful socks, and I love the color of your peonies, although I now have the willies after just hearing the spider story. Congratulations on your new wheel!